There are many kinds of ZigBee hubs: those of Amazon Echo, those "owners" like the Philips Hue bridge and finally some more open on which it is possible to install many brands. This is the case with ZigBee bridges in a Tuya environment such as the Earthsmart Hub, or like this new generic model Teekar ZigBee Hub. Sold around € 30 on Amazon, it will allow us to associate a wide range of compatible connected objects Alexa and Google Assistant.
Teekar Hub: a generic ZigBee gateway for Tuya / Smart Life
It is in a small white cardboard box and goes everywhere that the Teekar ZigBee Hub is delivered. You just find a drawing on the cover. Below are some technical characteristics hidden by a large label. On the side, a simple check mark indicates that it is a ZigBee type gateway. Indeed, a Bluetooth model is also available.
The packaging is not attractive, so let's see what it contains. It rests on a cardboard tray with a small instruction manual, very rudimentary, in English and Chinese. Below is a power cord without adapter is attached. The cable length is quite small with only 50 cm.
The ZigBee gateway
The Teekar ZigBee Hub measures 6 cm x 6 cm x 1.5 cm for a featherweight of 33 grams and is all white ABS plastic. On the top, two LEDs show how it works.
- On the left, a red LED indicates the status of the Wi-Fi.
- On the right, a blue LED for ZigBee status. Once paired, the LED goes out in normal operation.
At the back, there is the "reset" button and the micro USB socket.
Below, four silicone pads ensure the stability of the gangway, which has a perforated grid serving to dissipate heat ...
In profile, we can appreciate the slightly convex shape of the face.
Technical sheet :
- Brand : Teekar
- Model : Tuya ZigBee Hub JMWZG1
- Size 6 cm 6 cm x 1.5 cm
- Weight : 33 grams
- Materials : ABS
- Operating temperature : -10 ° C - 55 ° C
- Operating humidity : 10% - 90% non-condensing
- Protocol : ZigBee 3.0
- Wi-Fi standard : 2.4 GHz
- Power Supply Output : 5V 1A
Teekar ZigBee Hub JMWZG1: installation and use
As we said, the Teekar ZigBee Hub JMWZG1 supports ZigBee devices compatible with the Tuya environment / Smart Life. Indeed, the most widespread IoT (Internet of Things) platform does not exclusively manage Wi-Fi devices, but also several other protocols. More and more devices being offered in ZigBee and the upcoming compatibility of Tuya with Matter makes this type of material particularly interesting.
To get started, plug in the ZigBee Tuya hub. Both LEDs flash indicating that pairing mode is ready.
Once on the home page of the application:
- Click on the "+" At the top right,
- In the section " gateway control“, Select the first gateway (ZigBee).
- Activate the GPS then when your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network is discovered, enter your mot de passe.
- Confirm that LEDs flash good,
- Wait 10 seconds and the recognition is done!
Your Gateway Teekar ZigBee Hub is recognized. Not having a utility for voice use, there is no need to rename it unless you feel the need to. For the moment no sub-device is attached to it, but we will be sure to fill it out. Once the installation is complete, the Generic Tuya ZigBee hub takes place on the home page of the application.
Click on the gateway, to check if an update is not to be carried out. Note that you can enable automatic updates for the future.
What objects to use with a generic ZigBee hub?
The Teekar ZigBee Hub, like any generic Tuya gateway, will allow us to combine a plethora of connected objects, whether they are bulbs, switches, movement or opening sensors, thermometers, hygrometers, etc.
Some examples :
- Woox R9077 bulbs,
- multi-sensor NEO NAS-TH02B,
- SilverCrest thermostatic heads,
- Livarno Lux bulbs from Lidl,
- SilverCrest connected sockets,
- UseeLink ZigBee 3.0 power strip,
- ZigBee Zemi remote controlsmart,
- Moes wireless switch,
- And much more…