The universe of connected cameras is divided into two worlds: interior or exterior. If the first does not pose any particular concerns, the second must meet some additional technical requirements such as having a protection index (IP) of at least 65 to ensure proper operation. The outdoor camera TP-Link Tapo C310 benefits from a hint IP 66 and therefore meets this essential criterion and is weather resistant, but this is not its only asset… Follow the guide.
TP-Link Tapo outdoor camera C310: a camera that takes the air
Blue and white are the colors of Tapo and, logically, we find them on the packaging containing the camera. This is made of fairly thick glossy cardboard and has a visual of the TP-Link Tapo C310 as well as the main technical characteristics and compatibility with voice assistants Amazon Alexa et Google Assistant. On the back, a picture in situation is presented, on the sides the characteristics and technical data. The whole is, it must be admitted, pleasant and beautifully made.
Let's open this beautiful packaging. Resting in a molded cellulose shell and compartmentalized, each element is well wedged and under individual plastic.
We find there:
- La outdoor camera equipped with its two antennas and already pre-installed on its wall mounting bracket
- THEpower adapter type C with DC plug with a cable length of 3 meters.
- Le fixing material wall unit composed of: 3 screws and plugs and a drilling guide
- Protections to ensure the watertightness of the electrical and Ethernet cables because this camera offers the choice of connection: Wi-Fi ou Ethernet by RJ45 cable (not supplied of course). It is a safe bet that the wireless solution will be preferred, but this dual solution has the merit of existing.
- The traditional ones quick start and installation guides as well as licenses.
Now let's look at the camera. The body measures 6.3 cm wide x 7.5 cm deep for 6.3 cm high and displays a weight of 215 grams. The impasto is about 14 cm, a point to take into consideration for its installation. The set is made of white plastic surrounded by a red border and the inscription 'tapo' on the left and right sides.
The face of the camera is a square of 5.5 5.5 cm x cm, it is black and all plastic. The embedding in the white part does not suffer from any defect and you will not pass the nail of a finger, pledge that it is well hermetic. It accommodates in the center the objective which contains an image sensor: 1 / 2.7. The maximum video resolution is 3 MP (2304p x 1296p). On each side, infrared LEDs are activated when necessary to allow a correct vision which is announced up to 30 meters, or more than the length of a basketball court (28 meters by the way). Under the lens, the operation indicator LED is clearly visible.
On each side, an antenna. These are articulated in order to best capture the Wi-Fi network, if you choose this type of transmission of course. They are almost triangular in shape, a bit like the wings of an airplane, which is not ugly at all ...
Below, a cover closed by two screws closes the slot where it is possible to slide a Micro SD card up to 128GB (not included) if you want to store the images / videos locally, knowing thatthere is no cloud storage offer offered by Tapo. This locking system offers significant protection because the card is not accessible without having a screwdriver available.
Open the flap, apart from the card slot, we also find the reset button of the camera. In case of need a press for 5 seconds resets it.
The foot is made up of several parts. The main one is a rod, wide enough to support the weight of the camera, ending in a ball which is housed in a hollow support to allow its articulation and thus facilitate the choice of the angle of detection. Indeed, this camera is fixed and cannot be piloted to change its angle. Finally, a large, thick and also plastic screw fixes everything to the wall bracket. On the latter, a small projection is provided for the passage of the sheath which contains the two cables: electrical and Ethernet. On the back the logos of the European (CE) and Eurasian (EAC) certifications are affixed.
Sealing whether for the DC plug or for the Ethernet cable is ensured by means of the supplied accessories (in the first photo with screws and plugs for installation). The installation is not the most complicated, but requires to respect the order of the parts with regard to the protection of the Ethernet cable, if however this is the solution that you choose. But the problem of the box / camera distance, and therefore of the length of said cable, means that if this solution has the merit of being proposed, it is not the one which offers the most simplicity compared to a Wi-Fi installation. Fi. Also note that a translucent plastic washer must be placed in the connection of the DC plug for sealing. The total length of the sheath joining the two cables is 40 centimetres. The junction is made at 25 cm, leaving about 15 cm of individual ease to each of the two threads.
Technical sheet :
- Brand: TP-Link
- Model: Tap C310
- Dimensions: 14.23 cm deep x 14 cm wide x 8.6 cm high.
- Weight: 215 grams
- Color: White with red border for the body, black front
- Materials : Plastic
- Power Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 0.3A
- Power Supply Output: 9V, 0.6A
- Wi-Fi network: IEEE 802.11b / g / h, 2.4 GHz,
- Antennas: 2T2R
- Wi-Fi Security : WPA / WPA2-PSK
- Wired connectivity: Ethernet over RJ45
- Vertical rotation: DON'T
- Horizontal rotation: DON'T
- Field of view : 104°
- Image sensor: 1 / 2.7 "
- Frame rate: 15 frames per second
- Video compression: H.264
- UHD video resolution: 3MP (2000p x 1504p)
- HD video resolution: 1080p (1920p x 1080p)
- HD video resolution: 720p (1280x720p)
- Lens: F / NO: 2.2, Focal length 3.89mm
- Night vision : infrared with 30 meters range
- Audio communication: Bi-directional
- Notifications: Yes on smartphone
- IQ: 66
- Operating temperature : -20 ° - 45 °
- Storage temperature: -20 ° - 70 °
- Operating humidity: 10% - 90% RH (non-condensing)
- Storage humidity: 5% - 90% RH (non-condensing)
- Storage: Micro SD card up to 128GB (not included)
- Cloud storage: No
- Compatibility of voice assistants: Yes Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
TP Link Tapo C310: the 3MP camera that sees everything
Installation and use:
Our test was done via a Wi-Fi network. Pairing the Tapo outdoor camera is done in the same way as its indoor little sister, with the Tapo application. To start and configure it, we invite you to refer to the TP-Link Tapo C200 test.
Once the camera is detected, it appears under its factory name, which of course can be changed. You choose its location and voila! The configuration is done. A simple reminder for storage via a card to be formatted with the application (via the parameter menu) and finally the camera appears on the home page. A firmware update may be offered.
The functionality of this camera is also quite similar to that of the indoor camera. We therefore find the same control tools, except the one to guide it. To know :
Know the upper part, the choice of video style:
- Day : a classic mode,
- Night : black and white image + IR LEDs turn on,
- Automatic : for switching from one to the other depending on the ambient light.
The toothed wheel to access the settings, we will come back to this later.
Below the image, on the left, the rectangle.
Let's dwell on it. One click allows you to view only the selected camera if several streams are available or to switch to a multi-camera view, because this is where the application becomes interesting since it is possible to display several live cameras on the same page.
To integrate a new Tapo camera to view, nothing could be simpler. Click on the "+" on a blank video slot. A page opens showing you the camera you are currently acting on. Select the camera you want to add and click Ok. Voila! That's all.
Therefore, if you click from the home page on this camera, it is not a feed that you will see but both. The same manipulation must be done on the other (or the other) camera (s) if you want to add this stream to it. Thus, by clicking on any camera, you can access, if you have done the manipulations, up to 32 videos. It's not nothing !
Equipping this system gives a certain ease of use by grouping the streams of all its cameras. The 8 pages of 4 videos leave plenty to cover a house and its outbuildings. One click for multiple view. Not bad.
"It is possible to display several live cameras on the same page" The Alexians
Let's go back to the features:
- Camera : takes a snapshot
- Camera: record video
Both are accessible by clicking on " reading and memory "
- Volume: adjusting the volume of the camera microphone.
- Full screen mode: switches the image to landscape mode for a full screen visual. Also achievable by switching its smartphone (if rotation is allowed). The various functions remain available on the right.
- Microphone: by selecting it a page opens, you must then press the one presented to speak.
- Phone: allows you to communicate "hands-free" once selected.
- Confidential mode: mutes / activates the camera. Only the reading of what was recorded before remains accessible.
- Alarm : activates / deactivates a siren. The settings are made via the toothed wheel to define its mode of action: sound, light or both, but also the type of sound emitted: siren or tone. The sound volume of the siren is 73dB one meter away. Not sure that it alerts the neighborhood but if you are in the house surely. In sound and light mode, a single beep of the same intensity is emitted and the LED lights up in white varying from two to seven times.
- Reading and memory: access to video photos recorded on SD card or in memory with possible filtering: photo or video.
Accessible via the toothed wheel, it allows, among other things:
- To rename the camera
- Check if a Firmware update is available.
- Invert the image 180 ° if the camera is installed on the ceiling
- Activate / deactivate the indicator LED
- Activate / deactivate detections, alarms and define a notification schedule
- Choose video quality :
- best quality: 3 Mp
- Excellent quality: 1080p
- Good quality: 720p
It is obvious that if the possibility of 3 Mp is offered, why not choose it? The videos / photos are really very very good. And in shooting at night the details are there as in broad daylight but… in black and white.
- Automatic reset
On the home page, the number of cameras is displayed at the top. By clicking on it you can also see the flows and access commands : Home mode for disarm or Away mode for'armament. Frankly a simple and intuitive use. If you have enabled notifications in the settings you will receive them on your smartphone.
With Amazon Alexa
No problem, the camera goes back into the application without any problem. You just have to, if this is your first acquisition of the brand, install the Tapo skill. But do not plan to integrate it into a routine, it's not possible. Only viewing on an Echo Show device or on a TV equipped with Fire TV is possible.
- « Alexa display on [name of your Echo show device] the camera [name of your camera] »
- « Alexa display [camera name] with your Fire Stick remote control »
To start the live view, allow about 3 to 4 seconds for the stream to arrive, which is absolutely correct compared to competitors, with the exception of Ring which benefits from much faster display on devices Amazon.
The sound is also good, whether on the Echo Show or on TV. If a visitor comes in front of the camera you will be able to see and hear him, but obviously not answer him. You will have to take out your smartphone and go to the app for it.
The most that is to be noted is the possibility of zoom by tapping on the Echo Show screen. You can see that the quality of the images is excellent. At night you can see it as in broad daylight (or almost, eh). The 3MPs are remarkably efficient. The details are clearly visible: you can see almost every branch here.
If you have multiple Echo Shows, note that the feed will only be able to display on one device at a time.
On the screen of a television equipped with Fire TV Stick Lite, no problem too ...
And with Google Assistant?
Here also no difficulty for the integration. You must activate the Tapo add-on in "Configure a device" et "Works with Google". The camera then appears in the list of devices. Like with Alexa, still no routine possible.
Here the voice command is: "Ok Google, display [camera name]".
On a Nest Hub, on the other hand, it's not possible to zoom like it is with Echo Show, but the picture quality is still great.
Want even more? OK ! So just for you a little duel Alexa vs. Google
It is therefore possible to display the flow at the same time on two types of voice assistant.
We tested his IP66 under hailstorms and pouring rains, it turned out to be perfectly reliable and we could even clearly see hail or hear the sound of driving rain clearly thanks to its built-in mics.
Placed outside about ten meters from the house, the reception of the Wi-Fi signal has never been unworthy, proof that its antennas are also efficient. In case of problems, it is also possible to connect it via Ethernet, which is a real plus to ensure flawless stability and excellent speed.
The application is efficient and power managing multiple feeds in the same page is frankly very pleasant. If you prefer to use your home automation box, you will surely be delighted to learn that it is possible to read its RTSP stream live, or record it on a NAS or NVR through ONVIF protocol. Two very good additional points!
The only downside can be its power supply and the lack of a web interface. Devoid of battery, you need a plug within 3 meters, but you will not run the risk of accidental discharge at least!
In short, if you are looking for a camera offering both top image quality, a powerful application and many features, look no further! For around 50 € on Amazon. Fr, the TP-Link Tapo C310 is really great.
TP-Link Tapo C310 Outdoor / Indoor WiFi surveillance cameraNS. 50 €
- Choice of configuration: Wi-Fi or Internet
- High performance application
- Compatible Alexa and Google for direct feed
- Reasonable price
- Multi-view possible
- Wired installation only
- No routine possible