It's fabulous but you quickly see another potential, besides everyone is talking about the connected home! Turn lights on and off by voice, change their color, close and open the shutters without lifting a finger… The dream. But now, it is all very well, but how should it be done?
We are going to take a look at autonomous Wi-Fi connected bulbs. Indeed, there are two types of connected bulbs that can be used with Alexa :
- The bulbs operating via a hub or footbridge, or bridge in French. This is the case of the Philipps Hue for example. It is this hub which will manage the bulbs and which will be connected to Alexa. The bulbs used must be of the brand or compatible.
- The autonomous bulbs, which work alone. Several brands can be used in the same room. They work via Wi-Fi and a mobile application. This application must be downloaded from the smartphone and be recognized by the skills Alexa. This is the case of Smartlife, Yeelight ...
The first step will be to download the app used to operate the bulb. The application is presented either on the box or in the operating mode. In our case, it will be Smart Life. After installation, it is necessary to create an account by following the various steps (email, password, etc.).
At the same time, it is necessary to activate the Skill Smart Life for Alexa. The procedure is the same for Yeelight or others.
Then comes the placement of the bulb. Nothing could be simpler: unscrew the old one and put your new acquisition in its place.
Then it's not much more complicated. In the case of Smart Life, open the application on the phone and select the “+” to activate a new lamp. Then use your switch to turn the lamp off and on 2 or 3 times (but that it ultimately remains in the on position). The lamp will start to flash.
When this is the case, select "confirmed in the flashlight" ... Ok, it's not really French, but basically it means " confirm the bulb is flashing ". Then, enter your Wi-Fi code. The configuration is done alone. When everything is finished, you arrive at a page giving you the possibility (which must be entered!) To change the name of the lamp. This is the name that will follow your bulb for voice requests Alexa. So keep it simple and precise.
Then go to the application Alexa and in the connected home part. Select "add a device" (leave the bulb on). The application will detect it and then make it appear (Room in my case).
And There you go ! you have a room where your light will obey you! The activation words are quite simple:
- Alexa, turn on the room
- Alexa, turn off the room
- Alexa, turn on the room at 50%
- Alexa, turn on the room blue
- see all orders Alexa here...